Ph.D. Food Science and Technology, National University of Ireland, 1986
Areas of Expertise
Professor Singh's current research programme involves understanding structures, interactions, and functions of food proteins; food emulsions, encapsulation, protection and delivery of bioactive compounds in foods and food formulations. He has published over 250 research papers in international journals, and holds five patents. He has presented over 50 keynote addresses at national and international conferences.
Awards and Honours
- Awarded William C. Haines Dairy Science Award (2008) by the California Dairy Research Foundation (USA) for making outstanding contributions to dairy science and dairy industry worldwide.
- Awarded Massey University Research Medal (individual) (2008) for distinction in research.
- Awarded Marschall Rhodia International Dairy Science Award (2001). This highly prestigious award given by the American Dairy Science Association recognizes outstanding accomplishments in research and development by a researcher outside the USA and Canada in chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, technology, and engineering pertaining to the dairy foods industries.
- Awarded Massey University Research Medal (Team) (2005) for making outstanding research contributions and team leadership.
- Selected as ISI Highly Cited Researcher for exceptional citation count in the field of Agricultural Science (2006). Ranked top 15 in the world in the period 1996-2006 by Science Watch (Thompson Scientific, USA).
- Elected Fellow of Royal Society of New Zealand (2002) in recognition of distinction in research and the advancement of science.
- Elected Fellow of the International academy of Food Science and Technology, (2006). This fellowship recognises outstanding contributions to the field of food science and advancement of knowledge.
- Elected Fellow of the New Zealand Institute of Food Science and Technology, (2006). This fellowship recognises outstanding contributions to the field of food science and technology.
- Genovese, D.B., Ye, A., and Singh, H. (2010). High methoxyl pectin/apple particles composite gels: Effect of particle size and particle concentration on mechanical properties and gel structure. Journal of Texture Studies, 41, 171-189.
- Loveday, S.M., Hindmarsh, J.P., Creamer, L.K., and Singh, H. (2010). Physicochemical changes in intermediate-moisture protein bars made with whey protein or calcium caseinate. Food Research International, 43(5), 1321-28.
- Loveday, S.M., Rao, M.A., Creamer, L.K. and Singh, H. (2010). Rheological behavior of high-concentration sodium caseinate dispersions. Journal of Food Science, 75(2), N30-N35.
- Loveday, S.M., Wang, X.L., Rao, M.A., Anema, S.G., Creamer, L.K., and Singh H (2010). Tuning the properties of Î²-lactoglobulin nanofibrils with pH, NaCl and CaCl2. International Dairy Journal, 20, 571-79.
- Ries, D., Ye, A., Haisman, D., and Singh, H. (2010). Antioxidant properties of caseins and whey proteins in model oil-in-water emulsions. International Dairy Journal, 20, 72-78.
- Sarkar, A., Goh, K.K.T., and Singh, H. (2010). Properties of oil-in-water emulsions stabilized by Î²-lactoglobulin in simulated gastric fluid as influenced by ionic strength and presence of mucin. Food Hydrocolloids, 24, 534-541.
- Sarkar, A., Horne, D.S., and Singh, H. (2010). Interactions of milk protein stabilized oil-in-water emulsions with bile salts in a simulated upper intestinal model. Food Hydrocolloids, 24(2-3), 142-151.
- Sarkar, A., Horne, D.S., and Singh, H. (2010). Pancreatin-induced coalescence of oil-in-water emulsions in an in vitro duodenal model. International Dairy Journal, 20(9), 589-597.
- Singh, J., Lelane, C., Stewart, R.B., and Singh, H. (2010). Formation of starch spherulites: Role of amylase content and thermal events. Food Chemistry, 121, 980-989.
- Sugiarto, M., Ye, A., Taylor, M.W., and Singh, H. (2010). Milk protein-iron complexes: Inhibition of lipid oxidation in an emulsion. Dairy Science Technology, 90, 87-98.